Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Have you heard the news about skin cycling? It’s quite a hot topic these days. Beauty connoisseurs continue to rave about the amazing results of this trending ritual, showing off their natural glowing skin online. Who doesn’t want that, right? Nevertheless, it’s normal to be hesitant about changing up your tried and true methods for something new.
If you are new to skin cycling, you might be confused about what it is and how to get started with this step-by-step routine. In this article, we will break down everything you need to know about skin cycling, from products to building your own routine. Keep reading to get the skinny on this new skincare secret!
What is Skin Cycling?
Skin cycling is a skincare method created by Dr. Whitney Bows, intended to give the skin active and recovery days with different products. In many ways, it’s similar to your weekly workouts. When you exercise in the gym, you have to give your body recovery days to build muscle and tissues. We actually break down our muscles during a workout, but we get stronger when we rest. Dr. Bows has a similar perspective about our fragile skin barrier.
The skin cycling routine is as follows: exfoliate one night (physical or chemical), apply retinoid the second night, recover nights three and four with gentle products, and then repeat the cycle. Skin cycling allows you to guide your skin through different products to receive well-rounded benefits with minimal irritation.
Many people struggle with wanting to try out all the new products at once, which can strip the skin and cause irritation, breakouts, and hyperpigmentation. This is especially true when you’re working with active ingredients that speed up cell turnover like exfoliating acids and retinoids.
Skin cycling is a functional solution that allows you to target different goals over a four-day window. For example, recovery days are often for hydrating products like hyaluronic acid and ceramides.
How to Build a Skin Cycling Routine
Night 1 - Exfoliation
- Start your skincare with a gentle face cleanser that is pH-balancing and safe for all skin types.
- Exfoliate the skin with a chemical exfoliant like a glycolic acid toner. If you want a deeper exfoliation, use the microdermabrasion kit in australia Dermeren a few times a month for microdermabrasion.
- Nourish the skin with a rich face cream and a hydrating serum or oil. This is a great step to add in the Replenish Oil or Rejuvenation Serum.
Night 2 - Retinoid
- Wash your face with the same gentle cleanser you used on night one. You don’t have to invest in multiple cleansers, stick to what works for your skin.
- Apply a pea-sized amount of a topical retinoid. You can find a variety of hard-working retina serums that are over the counter. Start with a low percentage around 0.25 or 0.30% if you are just getting started.
- Moisturize your skin with your favorite cream and apply gentle serums or oils to top it all off.
Night 3 and 4 - Recovery
- Keep it simple with a gentle cleansing session in the shower.
- Apply a moisturizer that is rich in hyaluronic acid, squalene or ceramides. Don’t worry about adding too many additional products into your routine.
- Repeat the process on night 5!
Skin cycling is a relatively simple routine to stick to if you want to integrate active ingredients into your skincare to reduce signs of aging, clogged pores, hyperpigmentation and dark spots. The active and recovery cycle ensures that the active ingredients are effective without compromising the skincare barrier.
As a result, your skin is able to stay balanced without freaking out from product overload. Take control of your results by incorporating your own recovery days from the start. Sometimes less is more if you know how to be strategic about your application days.
So, what do you think about skin cycling? It might be worth a try if you feel like your skin is too sensitive to use products rich in active ingredients every day.
If you want to get started with your own skin cycling routine, shop our spa-grade skincare products right here at Dermeren. Our goal is to make it simple to enjoy a luxurious, salon experience at home without compromising results. Shop your new favorites today!